We're nearing the end of Jacob's story and the torch is being passed to Joseph. In Genesis 35, Jacob has changed "...into Israel, into a man who learned to trust Me in the struggles of life." (66 LL) Jacob has some wonderful encounters with God in this chapter. God clearly reveals to Jacob to go back to Bethel and build an altar. Then, God reveals Himself again to remind Jacob who he is, his new name: Israel (God-Wrestler). And God, illuminates more about Himself, "The Strong God", and what He promises to do for Israel and his descendants. Jacob sets up a stone pillar and dedicates the place of Bethel to God. Truly a mountaintop, spiritual experience.
Then, Rachel's death during childbirth. Jacob's true love is gone and he experiences "deep sorrow" (Gen. 48:7). Reuben sleeps with Jacob's concubine and their relationship is changed - Reuben, the firstborn "will be at the top no more" (Gen. 49:3-4). Jacob makes it back home to his father and Isaac dies. Terrible circumstances, piled on, emotional heartache. Where is "the Strong God"? Where are the promises of nations and kings?
Later, in Gen. 48, we'll see Jacob refer back to his Bethel experience and repeat God's promises to him from chapter 35. He knew that the difficult circumstances didn't change God, didn't change God's promises. And he was able to call on "The God who has been my shepherd all my life long..." (48:16).
My name is still Staci. Hasn't changed since I was born. But, my true identity has changed and is changing because God is in the process of transforming me into the likeness of His Son. Some days it's worshipping at Bethel; some days it's wrestling at Peniel. Everyday, He is The Strong God who hasn't given up on me because of my sinfulness.
4 comments:
Loved the post, Staci! It made me think about how much God has transformed my life over the past 15 years.
Perhaps it's because I have little kids, and a strained relationship with a sister, that I was drawn to the story of Joseph and his brothers. I pray often that my daughters will not only love each other but also like and appreciate one another. I've seen first-hand the harm that jealousy can do in a sibling relationship. I also recognize that, to some degree, my actions as a parent have an impact on their relationship.
Joseph seems pretty clueless and immature in his dealings with his brothers, like telling them dreams about him ruling over them. But it doesn't appear that Jacob helps the situation either. I'm guessing that his favoritism is pretty apparent. Can he not see that? Is he so wrapped up in his own stuff that he doesn't bother to notice? (Note to self...)
Jacob's gift of the elaborately embroidered coat caused the brothers to hate Joseph even more that his own dream-sharing. Yes, Joseph is clueless, but he doesn't deserve to be killed because of it. I wonder what was going on in the brothers' hearts that made them so jealous? Was it passed down from their mothers, since everyone knew that Rachel was Jacob's true love? I don't know. (Again, note to self - deal with my own sin!)
I am comforted by the knowledge that nothing happens apart from our Strong God. God had a plan for Joseph that He fulfilled. He keeps His promises. Therefore, I know I can trust God with my daughters' relationship and with my relationship with my sister. Not that He will make my circumstances comfortable and easy, but He will be using every bit of it for my good and His glory.
I'll quit rambling now... :-)
Great post today... for me it makes me think that despite all our thoughtless behavior, God's promises and affection remain true. Thank you God that despite my own "mess ups" you are sovereign. I love this.
What amazes me about the story of Joseph is that even the most evil intentions of man cannot be carried out unless God allows it. Joseph's brothers were ready to kill him, they were so jealous and hateful of him. Yet God used Judah, the little brother, to convince the rest of them that they shouldn't kill him, just sell him. And so the story goes...and as I read through it this time, I realize that God knew all along this woduld happen and was planning a greater purpose for Joseph, for his brothers, for Jacob and all of Israel. It was all part of His plan. In the end, it allowed them to experience and understand the concept of grace in a deep, transformational way.
So when things come crashing down around me, when it feels like people are out to get me or God just isn't involved in my life, I want to remember the story of Joseph. I want to remember that God is TRULY in control of every detail of my life, even the ugly, hard ones and He is allowing them to work out for a greater purpose. Instead of fighting, kicking and screaming against His plan for my life, I pray that I would surrender and submit to what He has for me, that I would faithfully continue to follow Him, trusting that He knows better than anyone else what I need.
Love the verse you shared Stace - Gen 35:10 I AM your Strong God, no matter what. So may we all go back to our Bethel Gen 35:1.
Please pray for my friend, Joanne Heim, a precious 38-year-old wife & mom. She had a stroke yesterday while exercising and is in a fight for her life. May we together call on our Shepherd Who has been with Joanne and you and me all life long. Gen 48:16
Post a Comment